Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Visit


Audrey, Lily and Turner were being watched by Terry and me. Their mom Jenni, was doing one of her favorite things to do every year: Filming a Short for The Annual LDS 24-hour Film Festival. Jenni was off with her "film crew" (the rest of the Turner family) writing, producing and acting out their movie. While they did their 24-hour thing, we settled in for our 24 hours with the grandchildren.

All three of the kids were being mesmerized by the Disney Channel. And yes, sometimes that is a very good thing. Tonight, however, I announced, as I sat dinner on the table, that the TV was being turned off, and we were all going to "visit". (I had informed my OWN children many years ago that we were going to visit, only to have Jared remark bewilderingly,"what kind of a word is VISIT?") My grandchildren are so much smarter than their parents, for when I asked if they knew what the word meant, Lily immediately raised her hand and gave a brilliant definition, and it was obvious that she and Audrey were very eager to visit.

The rules were that Papa and I could ask them each a question, and then they could ask us one. We went back and forth asking and answering questions. Although we had a slow start with a bunch of really silly questions, we soon got to some really good ones:

"Papa, how many girlfriends have you had?" "Five, but your Nana was my favorite."

"What's your favorite color Nana?" "Pink, just like your favorite Lily."

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" "A dishwasher" says Audrey,

"A Rockstar" says Lily, "oh and a Chef."

"What kind of food do you want to cook?" Nana asks.

"Teriyaki Food"

"Hey Audrey," I say thinking (I've wanted to ask her a question for a couple of months now: she quit calling me Nana and now calls me Grandma. I would really like to know why).

" . . .why do you call me Grandma?"

She squints her eyes, tilts her head, and looks at me and exclaims, "because . . .you . . . .LOOK . . .like a Grandma??

Visit over.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of the mouths of babes...to funny! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that picture of Dad and the girls. It is the essence of why Dad is so nice to be around. At any given, hilarious moment, he will throw back his head in laughter and become genuinely enraptured by what you have just said.
    Actually, nothing compares to the way that you guys grandparent our kids. There are truly no words to express how grateful I am for your small acts of paying intricate attention to each one, to your large acts of grandeur that sweep them off of their feet and give them enchanting moments that will rock them to their core for the rest of their lives.
    I love you and am so grateful for you now, as I always have been. Thank you for loving them the way you do. They love you so much.

    Love,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete

What I Wish My Estrogen Would Do . . .

Menopausal Laser Hair Removal